Artworks Catalogue

The Court Oratory on the north side of the nave, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
Herm (far left), Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
Herm (middle), Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
Detail, Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)

Location

Austria, Styria, Graz

Cathedral of St Aegydius (Dom Hl Ägydius)

Innere Stadt

Artwork

Court Oratory on the Nave’s North Side of the Graz Cathedral

Type

Oratory

Critical History

The Court Oratory was designed by Georg Kräxner, while the sculptural work was made by Philipp Jakob Straub.1 This can be dated to the year 1734; therefore it is one of the artist’s earliest works, which he overtook from Schoy as his workshop successor.2 It is a magnificent sweeping construction on five consoles whose sizes decrease outwardly. The window zone is divided by five pilasters; the inner- and outermost show a herm. Their upper bodies are very vivacious and show a well-defined musculature. The arms are stretched upwards and support the cranked entablature. On top, there are two eagles with outspread wings as culmination; the left one holds a sword in his claw, the right one a sceptre. Between them is a coat-of-arms cartouche with the Austrian shield and weaponry emblems. Outermost, there are two ornamental vases.

The faces of the herms are comparable to those of the sculpture of St Leonhard of St Stefan in Rosental, which can be dated to the year 1730 (according to the inscription on the pedestal). The facial modelling with prominent cheekbones, bulging eyes and pronounced eyebrows is identical in both cases.

Construction / Execution

It is a sweeping construction on five consoles. The window zone is divided by five pilasters.

Components

Concept/design
Author: Georg Kräxner
Completed: 1733
Technique(s): sawing
Material(s): wood
Sculpture
Author: Philipp Jakob Straub (Wiesensteig 1706 – Graz 1774)
Completed: 1734
Technique(s): wood carving
Material(s): wood
Polychromy
Completed: 1734
Material(s): gold leaf, red bole

Images

  1. The Court Oratory on the north side of the nave, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
  2. Herm (far left), Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
  3. Herm (middle), Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)
  4. Detail, Court Oratory, Cathedral Graz (photo by Diocesan Museum Graz, 2014)

Catalogue entry prepared by Christina Pichler and Dagmar Probst

Recommended citation: Christina Pichler and Dagmar Probst, Court Oratory on the Nave’s North Side of the Graz Cathedral , in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 14/08/2020) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Dehio. Die Kunstdenkmäler Österreichs. Graz, Wien, Verlag Anton Schroll & Co, 1979
  2. Horst Schweigert, Philipp Jakob Straub (1706–1774). Ein Grazer Barockbildhauer, in: Studien zur Kunstgeschichte Steiermarks, Horst Schweigert (ed.), Kumberg, Sublilium Schaffer Verlag, 1992, 309–329

Notes

1 Dehio Graz, 1979, 16

2 Horst Schweigert, 2017, 316