Artworks Catalogue

Marija Gorica, Parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Ivan Marinković, 2019)
Marija Gorica, Parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit, detail (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Goran Tomljenović, 2017)
The Holy Father (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Nikolina Oštarijaš, 2018)
Marija Gorica, parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit (Photo by Ljerka Krtelj, Conservation department in Zagreb, 1967)

Location

Croatia, Zagreb County, Marija Gorica

Parish Church of the Visitation of Mary (Župna crkva Pohoda Marijina )

Artwork

Pulpit in the parish church of the Visitation of Mary in Marija Gorica

Type

Pulpit

Dimensions

Height: 370 cm, width: 225 cm, depth: 135 cm

Inscriptions

  1. CV/Vs V/Des Inslgnls ls MVn/l/Ce eXtrVXIt beatae Vlrglnls honorl (In the cartouche)

Critical History

The pulpit was donated by Josip Antun Čolnić, the bishop of Đakovo and Bosnia diocese, in 1762 to then Franciscan monastery in Marija Gorica, as evidenced by the inscriptions with the chronogram (Ins. 1) and bishop's coat of arms. The first written record is found in the records of the canonical visitation in 1808,1 followed by the one in 1820.2 Doris Baričević attributed the pulpit and its sculptures to Franz Anton due to similarities to his other proposed works.3

Construction / Execution

The pulpit is situated on the right side between the chancel and the nave, and approached from the stairs in the sacristy. The central high relief on the body of the pulpit portrays the scene of the twelve-year-old Jesus preaching in the temple. The side panels are painted on wood, depicting the Betrothal of Mary to Joseph, and the other the dream of Saint Joseph.4 It is very lavishly decorated with rocaille carved ornaments, cartouches, volutes and alike rocaille motifs. On the canopy is a figure of Holy Father in Gloria with putti and rays, supported by large ornamental volutes. On the cornice of the canopy is a figure of the Dove of the Holy Spirit, whereas a small putto carrying a crucifix sits on the cornice of the body of the pulpit. Between the canopy and the body of the pulpit is a rear panel with a painting of Saint Anthony of Padua surrounded by a carved curtain and two flying angels holding the bishop's coat of arms.

Components

Carpentry
Author: Franz Anton Straub (Wiesensteig 1726 – Zagreb ca. 1774)
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Technique(s): sawing, wood carving
Material(s): linden, softwood
Sculpture
Author: Franz Anton Straub (Wiesensteig 1726 – Zagreb ca. 1774)
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Technique(s): wood carving
Material(s): linden
Painting
Saint Anthony of Padua
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Painting
Betrothal of Mary to Joseph
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Painting
Dream of Saint Joseph
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Polychromy
Completed: 1762
Patron(s): Josip Antun Ćolnić, bishop
Technique(s): tempera, water gilding
Material(s): barium sulphate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate dihydrate, gold leaf, lead white, natural terpen resin, oil, proteinaceous binders, red bole, red ochre, silver leaf, yellow bole
Polychromy
Repolychromy of the sculpture of angel with Crucifix
Material(s): ultramarine

Comment

Not only the sculptures, but also the consoles were carved from limewood.5 The polychromy was carried out in distemper (skin-glue) and varnished with mastic (probably with an addition of oil).6 Apart from the angel with the Crucifix which was repolychromed once, other surfaces show polychromy dating from 1762.

Conservation-restoration

1997

Treatment Description

Due to the construction's instability, the canopy with its figural and ornamental elements, as well as the rear panel with its painting, figures and decorations, were dismantled in 1997. They are currently stored in the nearby parish house.

2003

Treatment Description

The lower part was fixed after it was damaged in the course of the renovation of the interior.7

2014

Strategy: preserving one or several repolychromies, removing dirt

Treatment Description

Minimal conservation works were carried out in 2014 by Radovan Karković, the private restorer, on the dismenteled elements.8

Images

  1. Marija Gorica, Parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Ivan Marinković, 2019)
  2. Marija Gorica, Parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit, detail (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Goran Tomljenović, 2017)
  3. The Holy Father (Croatian Conservation Institute Photo Archive, photo by Nikolina Oštarijaš, 2018)
  4. Marija Gorica, parish church of the Visitation of Mary, pulpit (Photo by Ljerka Krtelj, Conservation department in Zagreb, 1967)

Catalogue entry prepared by Martina Ožanić and Ksenija Škarić

Recommended citation: Martina Ožanić and Ksenija Škarić, Pulpit in the parish church of the Visitation of Mary in Marija Gorica, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 12/11/2019) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Archive of the Archbishopric of Zagreb, Canonical visitations, Katedrala Archdeaconry, protocol 64/XX, 1808
  2. Archive of the Archbishopric of Zagreb, Canonical visitations, Katedrala Archdeaconry, protocol 67/XXII, 1820
  3. University of Zagreb, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Doris Baričević, Propovjedaonice 18. stoljeća kontinentalne Hrvatske, katalog, PhD Thesis, Zagreb, 1971
  4. Đurđica Cvitanović, Župna crkva sv. Marije od Pohoda u Mariji Gorici, in: Kaj, 3, 1992, 75–89
  5. Doris Baričević, Članovi kiparske obitelji Straub u Hrvatskoj, in: Peristil. Zbornik radova za povijest umjetnosti, 35–36, Radovan Ivančević (ed.), Zagreb, 1992–1993, 193–218
  6. Paškal Cvekan, Samostan Gorica – Brdovec, Virovitica, 1994
  7. Croatian Conservation Institute, Miroslav Pavličić, Izvješće o provedenim konzervatorsko-restauratorskim radovima na skulpturama sa kućišta orgulja, oltaru Sv. Ivana Nepomuka i oltaru Presvetog Srca Isusova iz ž. c. Majke Božje od Pohođenja, Marija Gorica, Zagreb, 2013
  8. Ministry of Culture of Republic of Croatia, Conservation Department in Zagreb, Radovan Karković, Izvještaj o obavljenim konzervatorsko-restauratorskim radovima na dijelovima propovjedaonice župne crkve BDM u Mariji Gorici (hitna intervencija), Zagreb, 2014
  9. Croatian Conservation Institute, Marijana Jelinčić, Domagoj Mudronja, Laboratorijsko izvješće br. 158/2018, Zagreb, 2018
  10. Croatian Conservation Institute, Margareta Klofutar, Laboratorijsko izvješće br. 163/2018, Zagreb, 2018

Notes

1 Canonical visitations, Katedrala Archdeaconry, 64/XX, 1808, 306: "Hic ex ligno affabre factum, variis figuris verbi divini annunciationem repraesentantibus ornatus, firmus, occidentem versus." (Transcribed by Šime Demo); Paškal Cvekan, 1994, 46; Doris Baričević, 1971

2 In 1820 it was further described: "Suggestus est ex ligno molli affabre factus ac munificentia denati episcopi Diakovariensi Chiolnich erectus. Collocatus est in corpore ecclesiae ex parte epistolae, ascensu commodo et suo crucifixo provisus." Canonical visitations, Katedrala Archdeaconry, 67/XXII, 1820, 572 (Transcribed by Šime Demo); Paškal Cvekan, 1994, 46; Doris Baričević, 1971

3 Bishop Josip Anton Čolnić (Vivodina, 1699 – Đakovo, 1773) was a former parish priest of the nearby parish of Brdovec, and also a cousin of the bishop of Zagreb Franjo Thauszy who had given commissions to Franz Anton for Vugrovec (1759), Pakrac (1760), Kloštar Ivanić (1761), Cernik (1761). Doris Baričević, 1992-1993, 198, 207, 208, 211, 212, 214

4 Đurđica Cvitanović, 1992, 82–83

5 Margareta Klofutar, 2018

6 Ibid.; Marijana Jelinčić, Domagoj Mudronja, 2018

7 Miroslav Pavličić, 2013, 33

8 Radovan Karković, 2014