Artworks Catalogue

Two side altars and the decoration on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The left side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The right side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The statue of St John of Nepomuk on the left side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The statue of St Mary on the right side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The statue of God the Father on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)

Location

Slovenia, Črešnjevec

Artwork

Two side altars and the decoration on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec

Type

Side altar

Inscriptions

  1. Sv. Janez Nep. (on the base of the left statue on the left altar)
  2. Sv. Frančišek Ks. (on the base of the right statue on the left altar)
  3. Sv. Štefan (on the base of the statue in the upper part on the right altar)
  4. Sv. Janez Evan. (on the base of the statue on the right altar)
  5. Sv. Mati Božja (on the base of the statue in the upper part of the left altar)
  6. Sv. Anton (on the base of the statue in the upper part of the right altar)

Critical History

The altars in the parish church of St Michael the Archangel in Črešnjevec were mentioned for the first time in the visitation records of the Savinja Archdeaconry of Gorizia Archdiocese in 1751, 1756 and 1760.1 We can read that the church was not consecrated until 1760. In the visitation records four altars are mentioned: the high altar and three side altars, namely the altar of St Mary Magdalene without portatili, the altar of St Mary the Virgin and the altar of St Isidore, both with portatili.2 Only in the visitation record from 1751 the altar is called the altar of St Mary Magdalene, latter the same altar is mentioned as the altar of the Holy Cross.3 After 1751, all the altars had portatili, but none of them was consecrated.

France Stele dated the two side altars of the parish church of St Michael in Črešnjevec in the 18th Century and wrote that the sculptures are well made, but that their polychromy was bad.4

Two side altars were attributed to Joseph Straub by Sergej Vrišer.5 But one should point out the decoration on the triumphal arch wall with clouds, head of God the Father and two flying angels, too. Together with the high altar and two side altars they considered as a nice example of baroque scenery.6

The left side altar (the altar of the Virgin Mary) was remade in 1898, when J. Sušnik was a parish priest in Črešnjevec. Previously it had a painting with the depiction of St Mary with Jesus and souls in purgatory with an inscription on the frame: pinxh veith, parochus 1748 Kerschbach [ger. for Črešnjevec]. It reads that the painting was old and damaged, but also inappropriate because of the nakedness of the depicted figures. It was replaced with a statue of St Mary of Lourdes with Bernarde made by Stefan Čebelar.7

The right side altar (the altar of the Holy Cross) originally had a painting of Jesus on the Cross, with an inscription on its back side: Jos. Veith, Parochus 1754. In the chronicle we can read that both side altars were in very bad state. In 1898 the painting was replaced with a statue of Christ on the Cross by Anton Butom, but in 1929 the altar was renamed to the altar of Sacred Heart and the statue was replaced with a new statue of Sacred Heart of Jesus.8

Construction / Execution

Both altars are made of wood. The first polychromy of the altar architecture was imitating marble in blue and brown tones. The ornament, sculpture´s drapery and wings are gilded.

Components

Carpentry
Carpentry
Technique(s): sawing, wood carving
Material(s): softwood
Sculpture
Sculpture
Author: Joseph Straub (Wiesensteig 1712 – Maribor 1756)
Technique(s): wood carving
Material(s): limewood
Polychromy
Polychromy
Technique(s): oil, water gilding
Material(s): gold leaf, lead white, oil, protein, red bole, sienna, yellow bole
Polychromy
First repolychromy
Technique(s): oil, water gilding
Material(s): calcium carbonate, gold leaf, oil, size, vermillion, zink white
Polychromy
Second repolychromy
Technique(s): oil, oil gilding
Material(s): gold leaf, silver leaf, vermillion, zink white

Comment

Both side altars have three layers of painting. All three polychromies of architecture are imitation of marble, ornamentation and drapery are gilded. First polychromy of the altar architecture was imitating marble in blue and brown tones. Ornamentation work, sculpture´s drapery and wings are gilded. The ground is lifting and there are some paint losses. The wooden support of sculptures of the saints on the right altar is burnt and covered with ground and repolychromy. Insect boreholes and wood cracks are visible on the surface.

Conservation-restoration

Restoration of the side altar of Virgin Mary

Treatment Description

The left side altar was renovated in 1898, when J. Sušnik was a parish priest in Črešnjevec.9

Restoration of the side altars

Treatment Description

The side altars were restored in 1929.10

Conservation-restoration

Treatment Description

Restoration work on both altars by private restorer.

Images

  1. Two side altars and the decoration on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  2. The left side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  3. The right side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  4. The statue of St John of Nepomuk on the left side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  5. The statue of St Mary on the right side altar in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  6. The statue of God the Father on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)

Catalogue entry prepared by Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek

Recommended citation: Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek, Two side altars and the decoration on the triumphal arch wall in the Parish Church of St Michael in Črešnjevec, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 13/07/2020) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Parish Archive Črešnjevec, Kronika župnije Črešnjevec
  2. Sergej Vrišer, Baročno kiparstvo na slovenskem Štajerskem, Maribor, Obzorja, 1963
  3. Ferdinand Šerbelj, Umetnostni spomeniki v občini Slovenska Bistrica, in: Zbornik občine Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenska Bistrica, Skupščina občine; Kulturna skupnost, 1983, 183–227
  4. Anton Ožinger, Vizitacijski zapisniki savinjskega arhidiakonata goriške nadškofije 1751–1773 = Atti delle visite pastorali nell‘arcidiaconato di valle Saunia della arcidiocesi di Gorizia 1751–1773 = Die Berichte der Pastoralvisitationen im Archidiakonat Saunien der Erzdiözese Görz 1751–1773, Ljubljana, Arhiv Republike Slovenije; Inštitut za zgodovino Cerkve Teološke fakultete ; Znanstveni inštitut Filozofske fakultete, 1991
  5. Sergej Vrišer, Baročno kiparstvo na slovenskem Štajerskem, Ljubljana, Slovenska matica, 1992

Notes

1 Anton Ožinger 1991, 200–201, 353, 546–547.

2 Ožinger 1991, pp. 200-201[1751] : »Visitatio parochiae in Kersbach, Actum die 10 iunii in parochia Kersbachensi, patronatus monasterii Studenicensis, parocho actuali admodum reverendo Josepho Veit et capellano Francisco Fashing in Moxau. Ecclesia sancti Michaelis archangeli parochialis in Kersbach, non consecrate, habet altaria 4, primum huius tituli con portatili, secundum sanctae Mariae Magdalenae sine portatili, tertium Beatae Virginis Mariae cum portatili, quartum sancti Isidori cum portatili.”

2 Ožinger 1991, p. 353 [1756]: “Ecclesia parochialis sancti Michaelis; Die 17 iulii visitata fuit ecclesia parochialis in Kerschpach. Dicitur esse consecrate, etsi signa non adsint. Altare maius est sancti Michaelis archangeli, secundum Sanctissimae Crucis, tertium Beatae Mariae Virginis, quartum est in sacello sancti Isidori, … Nullum ex his altaribus est consecratum, sed omnia portatilibus instructa sunt.”

2 Ožinger 1991, p. 546 [1760]: “34. Kerspach. Actum in parochial die 4 augusti 1760. Visitata fuit per me Ioannem Fridericum Macho, canonicum hora octava matutina ecclesia parochialis in Kerspach sub titulo sancti Michaëlis archangeli, iuris patronatus et advocatiae coenobii Studenizensis, quae non est consecrate, habens altaria quatuor, maius huius tituli, secundum Sanctissimae Crucis, tertium Beatae Mariae Virginis, quartum in sacello sancti Isidori, omnia cum portatilibus eminentibus et magis suprimendis.”

3 Anton Ožinger, 1991, 353.

4 France Stele, 1934, 43.

5 Sergej Vrišer, 1957, 92–93; Sergej Vrišer, 1963, 90, 169; Sergej Vrišer, 1992, 124, 235.

6 Ferdinand Šerbelj, 1983, 205.

7 Chronicle, s. p. (Parish Archive Črešnjevec).

8 Chronicle, s. p. (Parish Archive Črešnjevec).

9 Chronicle, s. p. (Parish Archive Črešnjevec).

10 Chronicle, s. p. (Parish Archive Črešnjevec).