Artworks Catalogue

The sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017
 The sculpture of St Sebastian at the Quirinsaltar in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017
The sculpture of St Rochus at the sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017

Location

Germany, Bavaria, Tegernsee

Parish (former Monastery) church St Quirin (Ehem. Kloster- und heutige Pfarrkirche St. Quirin)

Catholic parish St Quirin

Artwork

The sculptures of the sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the Parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee

Type

Sculpture

Inscriptions

  1. S QUIRINO REGI& MART. Anno M.DCCXLVIII. (cartouche above relique, higher level)
  2. S QVIRINO M (cartouche above relique)

Critical History

In the list of J. C. Lippert the 5 sculptures are registered under number 50 and 51.1 St Agatha, St Florian, St Rochus, St Sebastian and a bust of St Benedict are part of the 2 sidealtars dedicated St Benedict and St Quirin. Two small sculptures representing St Cosmas and St Damian standing in two niches of the predella of the altar dedicated St Benedikt are not attributed to an sculpturor. Both altars were erected in 1748 by marble combined with stucco. The architecture is partially decorated with metal ornaments in silver and gold. The tabernacles are made by gilded copper. The stucco of the altar and the reliefs at the walls and the ceiling were made by Johann Georg Üblher (1703–1763).2 Concerning the date of origin of the sculptures Norbert Lieb supposes a connection with the 1000 years anniversary of the monastery on 7. 7. 1753.3 Roland Götz says that the anniversary was held in 1746.4

Construction / Execution

The 2 chapels are an exellent work of art which integrate the altars made by marble and stucco marble into the decoration of the walls and the ceiling. The light from outside was originally changed artificially by a yellow glass. The top of the skull of St Quirin a richly decorated relique with silver ornaments forms the center of the altar. Puttos made by white stucco imitating white marble are flying above. The 2 sculptures representing St Rochus and St Sebastian are made by wood. St Rochus H 161cm W 68,5 cm D 48,5 cm; St Sebastian H 162 cm W 66cm D 45,5 cm. The painting layer is a polished white combined with watergilded parts and imitates again marble or alabaster.

Components

Masonry
Sidealtar of St Quirin
Author: Johann Georg Üblher
Completed: 1746 – 1748
Technique(s): stonework, stucco lustro
Sculpture
Sidealtar of St Quirin
Author: Johann Georg Üblher
Completed: 1746 – 1748
Technique(s): stucco
Sculpture
Author: Johann Baptist Straub (Wiesensteig ca. 1704 – Munich 1784)
Completed: 1746 – 1748
Technique(s): polished white, water gilding, wood carving
Polychromy
Sidealtar of St Quirin
Completed: 1746 – 1748
Technique(s): polished white, water gilding
Polychromy
Sidealtar of St Quirin
Completed: 1824 – 1825
Technique(s): oil, oil gilding
Polychromy
Sidealtar of St Quirin
Completed: 1902
Technique(s): polished white, water gilding
Polychromy
Completed: 1946
Polychromy
Completed: 1998 – 2008
Technique(s): polished white, water gilding
Material(s): Bologna chalk, bone black, Champagne chalk, gold leaf, gold powder, gouache, green earth, lead white, rabbit-skin glue, red bole, sturgeon glue, watercolours, yellow bole, yellow ochre

Comment

In 1879 the 4 sculptures were removed from the altars. In 1902 they were again discovered restored and placed on consoles apart from the altars. In 1946 they were overpainted and came back to the altars but not in the original positions. In context with a complete restoration of the church (1998–2004) the sculptures were examined in the workskop of Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites in 1998 and restored in 2004. In 2008 after the last restoration the sculptures came back into their original position proved by archival documents. Only the wooden bust of St Benedict is conserved. The bust is also made by wood and decorated with silver-leaf gold-leaf and red glaze. From archival documents we know that there was a second bust made in 1765 by a silver-smith called Joseph Reichenzinn. The silver-bust was only presented on the occasion of high church festivals. In 1801 the silverbust was collected by the Bavarian State an melted.

Conservation-restoration

1824

Approach to the presentation of losses

Repolychroming: total

Treatment Description

In 1820 the complete church was renovated under the direction of the architect Georg v. Dillis. The complete sculptural equipment received a new white painting layer in oil with oil gilding. in 1824/25.

1902

Strategy: removing one or several historic repolychromies

Approach to the presentation of losses

Repolychroming: total

Treatment Description

In 1902 the 4 sculptures were found on the loft of the church. They were restored by the so called Mayersche Hofkunstanstalt in Munich. The original white painting layer was almost completely removed and they were overpainted in a polished white combined with a watergilding.

1946

Approach to the presentation of losses

Repolychroming: total

Treatment Description

The 4 sculptures received a new "white Lacquer" (modern binding media).

1998

Strategy: removing one or several historic repolychromies

Approach to the presentation of losses

Reconstruction of losses: total

Treatment Description

The painting layers of 1902 and 1946 were completely removed. Remaining parts of the original polished lead white and watergilding were conserved and integrated. The huge losses were reconstructed after historical receips. A small part of St Rochus was carved and used for testing the polychromie in situ.

Images

  1. The sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017
  2. The sculpture of St Sebastian at the Quirinsaltar in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017
  3. The sculpture of St Rochus at the sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee photo Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites Michael Forstner 12.2017

Catalogue entry prepared by Rupert Karbacher

Recommended citation: Rupert Karbacher, The sculptures of the sidealtar dedicated St Quirin in the Parishchurch St Quirin, Tegernsee, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 20/07/2019) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Johann Caspar Lippert, Kurzgefaßte Nachricht von dem churbaierischen ersten Hofbildhauer Herrn Johannes Straub, in: Augsburgisches monatliches Kunstblatt. Kunstzeitung der kaiserlichen Akademie zu Augsburg, 1772, Nr. 54f
  2. Norbert Lieb, Johann Baptist Straub, in: Allgemeines Lexikon der Bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart, 32, Ulrich Thieme, Felix Becker, Hans Vollmer (ed.), Leipzig, 1938, 162–167
  3. Peter Steiner, Johann Baptist Straub (Münchner kunsthistorische Abhandlungen, VI), München und Zürich, Verlag Schnell & Steiner, 1974
  4. Peter Volk, Johann Baptist Straub 1704–1784, München, Hirmer Verlag, 1984
  5. Roland Götz, Leib und Seele, catalogue for the exhibition in Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung, München, Sieveking, 2014

Notes

1 Johann Caspar Lippert, 1772, 61.

2 Peter Volk, 1984, 203.

3 Norbert Lieb, 1938, 64.

4 Roland Götz, 2014, 178ff.