Artworks Catalogue

The organs in Parish Church of St Mary in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The sculpture of angel on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The sculpture of angel on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)

Location

Slovenia, Ruše

Parish Church of St Mary (Župnijska cerkev sv. Marije)

Artwork

The organ decoration in Parish Church of St Mary in Ruše

Type

Organ case

Dimensions

Height: 950 cm, width: 1000 cm, depth: 750 cm

Critical History

The organs in the Parish Church of St Mary in Ruše were made by organ master Joannes Franciscus Janechek.1 It is said that the organ loft was enlarged by the carpenter Franz Leeb in 1753.2 Sergej Vrišer attributed the organ decoration to Joseph Straub.3 The polychromy was done by Franz Assecla and Dominicus Cocconi in 1755.4 The latter also depicted St Gregory and St Cecilia on the side organ cases as well as the scenes of the miracles on the loft fence.5

All three organ cases are decorated. On the main organ case, there is a sculpture of King David with a harp, and six putti musicians. On the side cases, there are two bigger angels with trumpets. The sculptures of angels are of great quality – they have elegant postures, draperies fluttering to the sides, and faces with significant characteristics of Joseph Straub personal style (big open eyes, round chin, curly hair). They are similar to the sculptures of putti from the organ decoration in Sladka Gora.

Based on the old photographs we know what instruments were placed in the hands of the sculptures of putti. The putto on the top left used to hold a book, and the putto on the right side played a triangle. Both attributes are lost today, but the putto on the right is holding tromba marina, which was in the hands on the putto below him.6 The putto in the left middle side is holding a lyre. Although some instruments are lost, we can see that some archaic instruments as well as some contemporary instruments were used.#N-#

Construction / Execution

The organ chase and decoration are made of wood. The wooden balcony of the loft is decorated with metal net. There are five paintings on wood placed in prolonged loft balcony under the loft fence. There are two paintings on wood on both side closets where the angels are placed on. The architecture is imitating marble in blue and brown shades. The ornaments, sculpture´s drapery and angel wings are imitating gold.

Components

Concept/design
Organs
Author: Joannes Franciscus Janechek (Poděbrady? ca. 1697 – Celje? 1778)
Carpentry
Carpentry
Author: Franz Leeb
Completed: ca. 1753 –
Technique(s): sawing
Material(s): softwood
Sculpture
Sculpture
Author: Joseph Straub (Wiesensteig 1712 – Maribor 1756)
Completed: ca. 1755
Technique(s): wood carving
Material(s): limewood
Polychromy
Polychromy
Author: Dominicus Cagoni
Completed: 1755
Technique(s): oil, water gilding
Material(s): calcium carbonate, gold leaf, red bole, size
Polychromy
First repolychromy
Technique(s): oil, oil gilding
Material(s): gold leaf

Comment

The repolychromy was done with oil painting imitating the wood and was. Repolychromy was removed during restoration. The restored first polychromy is visible. There are some damages on polychromy on exposed places where choir singers are sitting or standing during the procession.

Conservation-restoration

Restoration of the organs

Strategy: removing dirt, removing one or several historic repolychromies

Approach to the presentation of losses

Reintegration of lacunae – mimetic: total

Reintegration of losses – other: total

Treatment Description

The restoration of the organs was made in 1994 by the Maribor Regional Office of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia.

Images

  1. The organs in Parish Church of St Mary in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  2. The sculpture of angel on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  3. The sculpture of angel on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  4. The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  5. The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)
  6. The sculpture of putto on the organ case in Ruše (Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, photo by Valentin Benedik, 2018)

Catalogue entry prepared by Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek

Recommended citation: Valentina Pavlič and Saša Dolinšek, The organ decoration in Parish Church of St Mary in Ruše, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 17/10/2018) URL

Sources and Bibliography

  1. Sergej Vrišer, Mariborski baročni kiparji, in: Zbornik za umetnostno zgodovino, n. v. IV, 1957, 71–127
  2. Sergej Vrišer, Vodnik po ruških cerkvah, Ruše, Župnijski ured, 1995
  3. Darja Koter, Likovna oprema baročnih orgel: Johann Frančišek Janeček in dekoracija njegovih orgelskih omar, in: Muzikološki zbornik, XLV/1, Ljubljana, Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete, 2009, 45–63
  4. Cestnik Anton, Ruška cerkev: zgodovinsko-umetniška črtica, in: Voditelj v bogoslovnih vedah, 2, 1899, 240–248
  5. Tatjana Štefanič, Boštjan Roškar, Katalog ohranjenih ohišij glasbil Janeza Frančiška Janečka na območju Slovenije, in: Celjski baročni orglarski mojster Janez Frančišek Janeček, znanstvena monografija, Jurij Dobravec, Boštjan Roškar, Tatjana Štefanič, Dejan Zadravec (ed.), Ptuj: Pokrajinski muzej Ptuj - Ormož, 2016, 109 –198
  6. Milko Bizjak, Edo Škulj, Orgle na Slovenskem, Ljubljana, Državna založba Slovenije, 1985

Notes

1 Anton Cestnik, 1899, 247; Milko Bizjak, Edo Škulj, 1985, 56; Tatjana Štefanič, Boštjan Roškar, 2016, cat. 24.

2 Sergej Vrišer, 1995, 14. [We do not know where Vrišer got this information because, in the church chronicle, (Jožef Avguštin Meznerič, Notata Rastensia, ex antiquissimis documentis desumpta, manuscript) Franz Leeb is not mentioned. Cf. Anton Cestnik, 1899, 247 (the organ loft was enlarged in 1677; according to the church chronicle).

3 Sergej Vrišer, 1957, 89. Vrišer wrote that, according to the chronicle, the sculptures for the organs were made by Philipp Jakob Straub for 115 fl., but he attributed the sculptures to Joseph Straub. We do not know which source he used because, in the church chronicle, none of the Straub brothers is mentioned. Sergej Vrišer, 1995, 14.

4 Johann Baptist Cocconi and Franz Assecla were paid 300 fl according to the church chronicle. Jože Mlinarič, 1995, 222; Tatjana Štefanič, Boštjan Roškar, 2016, 167 [They explained that there is probably a mistake in the chronicle and that Johann Baptist is actually Dominik Cocconi].

5 Sergej Vrišer, 1995, 14.

6 The position of the instrument is wrong. See: Darja Koter, 2009, 55.

7 Darja Koter, 2009, 55.