Germany, Bavaria, Polling
Parish church St Holy Cross (Pfarrkirche Heilig Kreuz)
Kath. Pfarramt Hl. Kreuz Polling
The Holy Cross the the added parts on top of the side altars in Polling
Volk describes the added parts of the sidealtars dedicated to St Maria and St Augustinus: "Around the Holy Spirit a heart which is pierced by an arrow, gilded beams with clouds in silver and for each altar 3 heads of puttos with wings. Lippert does only list the tabernacle. 1
Construction / Execution
The added parts are made by wood and have a polychrome painting layer on a groundlayer or rather a gilded silvered surface.
Looking at the photos of the sidealtars it seems that a lot more of their decoration dates in the middle of the 18th century and was executed by Straub and his workshop. The ornaments cartouches shoe rocailles which exist only after 1730.
- Polling Holy Cross sidealtar dedicated St Augustinus Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites photo Michael Forstner 07_2017
- Polling Holy Cross sidealtar dedicated St Maria Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites photo Michael Forstner 07_2017
Catalogue entry prepared by Rupert Karbacher
Recommended citation: Rupert Karbacher, The Holy Cross the the added parts on top of the side altars in Polling, in: TrArS – Tracing the Art of the Straub Family, 2018, (accessed 25/05/2018) URL